Monday 28 November 2016

How leading a research team might be similar to / different from leading a teaching team

During last week's Mind Lab session we had a look at research into how to lead a research team effectively.

The key points were around:
- Setting aside time for leadership
- Promoting inclusiveness, do all members feel valued?
- Motivating staff by:
  • knowing members strengths
  • respecting their backgrounds
  • delegation
  • coaching of individuals
  • providing feedback and recognition
Obviously the parallels can be drawn with leading a team at school, or leading a group to effect change. 

This reminds me of some reading I had done a couple of years ago into effective workplace's. The Gallup Organisation identified 12 traits of productive workplaces, and most of them (like the ones above) revolve around treating your colleagues as people, and being very humanistic in your approach. The one that always struck me was everyone should 'have a friend' at work. 

These points are things that I need to continually remind myself of, and it has prompted me to re-surface the Gallup work for our Leaders team next year

No comments:

Post a Comment