Sunday 21 May 2017

Reflecting on Reflection

Reflection. This term is bandied about fairly freely in our schools, classes and staffrooms. Reflective practice, tick. On reflection I changed...tick. Let's end our lesson with a reflection, tick. This weeks MindLab webinar opened my eyes a bit when exposed to Zeichner and Liston’s (cited in Finlay, 2008, p.4) five levels of reflection.


Rapid - this is the main level that perhaps I have operated in...immediate reflection
Repair - post-lesson/unit thinking about what worked/what didn't
Review - verbalising, or noting down thoughts about practice
Research - engaging with research, over time, perhaps gathering and using data
Re-Theorizing - a critical examination of practice, using data and research to re-define what had been thought to be true


While I had engaged in several of these levels of reflection, it was never a conscious decision. I had often approached reflection at those lower levels, and it has only been in the last few years that I have grown into using more research, engaging with academia in order to find out what works and what does not in learning.

Something I thought to be so simple, now viewed as a practice with such depth.

No comments:

Post a Comment